Termite Damage in Bathroom
Bathrooms are often the site of moisture problems caused by leaky pipes and the combination of humid showers and inadequate ventilation. As if these moisture problems were not enough, they also can create conditions conducive to termite infestations.
Severe termite damage to a bathroom:
Notice that the sink has fallen off the wall due to termites destroying the supporting wood beams.
Signs of Termite Damage in a Bathroom
A few signs that can signal termite damage in a bathroom include:
- Loose tiles
- Discolored or sagging ceiling
- Damaged or hollow-sounding baseboards or walls
- Drywall or wallpaper with small holes
- Jammed doors or windows
Termite infestations can be hidden in walls, floors and ceilings. Infestations can be particularly difficult to detect behind tile and bathtubs. Even the newest technology, such as infrared technology, cannot help termite inspectors detect infestations behind these surfaces.
However, termite inspectors are trained to look for other signs of infestation. Annual inspections and proactive measures to help ventilate the bathroom, such as through a bath trap, can help reduce the likelihood of an infestation.
Termite Damage to a Bath Tub
Termites will not damage a porcelain-coated, acrylic or fiberglass tub. However, termites can damage the wooden beams that support the weight of the tub. Structural damage in a bathroom can be very difficult and expensive to repair due to the challenge of accessing the infestation near plumbing pipes and fixtures. Repairs should be handled by a licensed contractor.
Related Articles in This Category
- Boat / Yacht Termite Damage
- Can Termite Damage be Fixed?
- Formosan Termites in the Attic
- Hollow Sounding Wood as a Sign of Termites
- Laminate Flooring Damage
- Loose Floor Tiles as a Sign of Termites
- Termite Carpet Infestation
- Termite Ceiling Damage
- Termite Damage and Insulation
- Termite Damage in Bathroom
- Termite Damage in Sub Floor
- Termite Damage to Floors
- Termite Damage to Sheetrock
- Termite Damage to Wall
- Termite Foundation Damage
- Termites and Paint
- Termites in Drywall Damage
- Termites Under House Slab
- Water Damage vs. Termite Damage